ACG Tauranga maths teacher Jackie Webb is a foundation staff member. She has recently gained a Masters degree with First Class Honours, majoring in Mathematical Education. Her thesis focussed on the motivations of mathematics students.
“Mathematics is a beautiful, dynamic, creative, spiralling way of understanding the world. It’s orderly and methodical, concrete and abstract, and gives meaning to chaos. It teaches us how to solve problems through analytical and reasoning skills and then how to communicate our solutions to others.
It’s a language that provides a universal, international connection – the language of nature; the language of science. When our students from overseas arrive in the maths class they visibly exhale as they arrive into an environment where they can understand.
Mathematics is as old as civilisation itself. Many ancient writings contain evidence of mathematics and from these beginnings society continues to evolve. Although we may not always be aware of it, mathematics is at the foundation of our present and future world.”
What STEM looks like at ACG Tauranga
- One block of Science a week from Year 1 and throughout primary school. Hands on and fun!
- Specialist Science teachers teach students in Years 5 and 6.
- Students in Years 7-10 receive seven lessons of Science per week
- Three double blocks of Science per week allow our students the time and opportunity to gain practical, hands-on experience
- One lesson of Computer Science per week from Years 7-10: students have fun with technology!
- Weekly lunch time and afterschool Maths workshops allow students to work and learn together across year levels.
- Physics, Chemistry and Biology available as specialist subjects from Year 11.
- Robotics club enhances innovation and creativity
ACG Tauranga is a proud sponsor of Tauranga STEM Festival