ACG Tauranga welcomed passionate Biologist Mr Howard to the school this year – already he’s a hit with his students.
“Biology is fundamental in the most literal sense of the word. It’s about how things live, breathe and die, it’s about the gears that keep us and everything else chugging along. It seeks to understand the natural world around us – and by extension ourselves. Biology is an ever growing and evolving science which keeps it exciting and engaging.
An understanding of biology provides a lens on the world, allowing us to know how and why the world works the way it does and our place in this complicated web of life.
Learning and understanding biology is paramount in this day and age. Living in a world of dying coral reefs, plastic islands, global warming and extinctions occurring at an alarming rate, we need to make some serious changes. Biology is a subject that gets us closer to understanding these issues and how they are caused. Through learning biology, we can truly get an idea of the severity of what we have done to our planet and what could happen to all organisms on earth if we do not change our ways.
The media is constantly filled with medical jargon and fear mongering. Biology gives us the tools to navigate the world around us and ideas on how to do this harmoniously as we move into the future.
Biology is also important for understanding ourselves; from our genetics, to our cultural and biological evolutions, to health and behaviour and wellbeing. It shows us where we came from, where we are now and what we need to do to live well and where we could potentially go in the future.
Biologists have a vital role to play in the future, working to produce new and innovative technologies, cures, and treatments and to prepare us for the impact and consequences of climate change.”
What STEM looks like at ACG Tauranga
- One block of Science a week from Year 1 and throughout primary school. Hands on and fun!
- Specialist Science teachers teach students in Years 5 and 6.
- Students in Years 7-10 receive seven lessons of Science per week
- Three double blocks of Science per week allow our students the time and opportunity to gain practical, hands-on experience
- One lesson of Computer Science per week from Years 7-10: students have fun with technology!
- Weekly lunch time and afterschool Maths workshops allow students to work and learn together across year levels.
- Physics, Chemistry and Biology available as specialist subjects from Year 11.
- Robotics club enhances innovation and creativity